2 days in Kalaw






End of March, I went to Kalaw for a retreat trip with all my colleagues . As Yangon was becoming really hot, it was the perfect getaway weekend from the busy city.

Kalaw is a hill village and is famous for being an old British hill station. Most of travelers just spot here for a night to start the popular Kalaw-Inle trekking. But actually it really worth staying a little bit longer. The weather is cool and the atmosphere really relaxing.







What to do in Kalaw?

Kalaw market

The market is a typical and pleasant Burmese market. And you can find super tasty shan noodles and Tofu noodles! Every five days, the big market of the area takes place in Kalaw.



Hnee Paya (bamboo Buddha image)

Hnee Paya is famous for its Buddha image in bamboo. It is a nice place where Burmese people come to relax and have tea and tea leaves salad made buy the nuns.

Shwe Oo Min Paya

The pagoda is built inside a cave. I would say it is like a small Pindaya cave.



Train station

This small and cute station is a perfect spot for a photo shooting!



The Thein Daung monastery 

The monastery is at the top of the hill in the middle of the pine forest and gives a nice view over the town and area.
As one of my colleague knows the monk working at the monastery, I had the chance to get a private tour of the site and had a very interesting conversation about Myanmar Buddhism.



Trekking

The half-day or day trekking to Kalaw view point is a good option to discover the region. All the hotels and agencies in town can arrange a tour for you.
In Kalaw, you can also start the famous 2 or 3 days trekking to Inle lake.
I did a trek with Norbert and had a great experience. He was very nice and explained a lot about his region,
Don't hesitate to contact him: smilepardize86@gmail.com

Mountain Biking

Few agencies offer moutain biking tours. I never had the chance to do it, but it is definitely on my list!

Where to eat?

Kalaw market: 
There are many noodles shops in the market. Don't hesitate to try one of them. I had amazing Shan noodles!

Sprouting Seeds
It is a coffee and bakery place. This social enterprise serves vegetarian food, juices, home made cakes, and even home made ice cream... I loved everything I tried!
In addition to the good food, you can support a good cause as the restaurant is also a training center for the local youth. To know more about this super project.



It is a very nice and cute place to chill out! We spent few hours there working, reading and of course eating.. !






Everest 

Everest is a famous Nepalese restaurant where you can get curries and Indian bred. I was a little disappointed by what I got after all the good things I heard about this place... But give it a try!

Thirigayha 7 Sisters 

I have been there with my parents during my first trip to Kalaw. The food was really good and the service super nice.

Red House Restaurant

This Italian restaurant was a very good surprise. The pizzas and pastas are super tasty.
The prices are high compare to others places in town, but really worth it if you are dreaming of  European food.

Where to stay in Kalaw?


Pine Breeze Kalaw 

This nice guesthouse has a good view over the city and moutains around. The owners are super nice and accommodating.



And important fact, the breakfast is one of the best I had in Myanmar!



Kalaw Heritage

Kalaw Heritage in a institution in Kalaw.
I just went there to check the place and it is really charming.



Kalaw Hill Lodge

If you have a good budget, go to Kalaw Hill Lodge. It is a peaceful and beautiful place. They also offer yoga retreats.

Commentaires